July 1, 2007

Tara Robertson Pottery -Weekly Featured Artist

Who are you?
Tara Robertson

What is your Etsy Shop Name/ link?
http://trpottery.etsy.com/

What tag categories do you specialize in?
All my work falls under the “Ceramics and Pottery” category. I make unique pottery, both for function and for fun. I have a large variety of pieces ranging from tiles to hang on the wall, to dishwasher-safe mugs, to sculptural pieces with no function other than adding beauty to your home.

Do you create for children or adults, women or men?
My art is mainly for adult use and enjoyment, as most is breakable. Women and men can enjoy my ceramics equally, although I’ve been told that my sculptural work has a feminine look.

What do you like about Etsy?
I love the community aspect of Etsy. As a stay-at-home mom, I don’t get out much. I’ve met some great artists and found a very supportive group here. I also like Etsy for all of it’s very user-friendly function. It’s great market research, to see in real-time how many views an item of mine has.

As an art aficionado, I also love being able to browse so many unique and varied artists from the comfort of my own home. It’s especially satisfying to feel that when I purchase an item, I am helping to support someone else’s ability to create. There are so many things I like about Etsy. I could really go on and on…

What do you like about creating?
Ceramics is my outlet—there’s no doubt about it, if I was not able to make pottery, I would go mad. It’s my peaceful break from the stressful pressures of being a stay-at-home mom. It is my alone time. I also enjoy the labor-intensive aspects of my chosen art form. Much of making something from clay involves physical work like wedging the clay, rolling out coils, pulling handles, loading and unloading kilns. I feel like the physical work clears my mind and allows me to be in a place where my creativity can flow.

What do you love about your business?
It is very important for me to be at home for my child. I really appreciate the freedom that online marketing has given me to work and sell from my own home. My business and home-life sustain each other. My business gives me an intellectual challenge and a sense of accomplishment. My home-life gives me a loving support-group and the emotional and practical challenge of raising a well-adjusted, well-cared-for child.

What is your favorite product right now?
I’ve been really enjoying making Personality Pots lately. The Personality Pots are a low-fired series with unusual long curving necks and gestural bodies. Each piece is given a name to fit its unique personality and stance. It’s challenging to create new pieces with distinct personalities and satisfying to see the piece evolve and take on that persona. I especially enjoy writing descriptions to fit each pot with they are finished.

What makes you unique at Etsy?
The funky shapes of my hand-built pieces coupled with hand-carved surface textures make each vessel unique and one-of-a-kind.

What do you love about kids?
My daughter has enriched and enlivened my life in so many ways. As I type this, she is helping her stuffed animals up on the piano bench so that they can play with her and commenting to them, “this will sound so pretty.” It is very difficult to be a stay-at-home mom sometimes, but it is also very rewarding. I think the most rewarding aspect has been to watch Emily develop a personality of her own.

What are some other sites to find out more about you and what you love to create?
My personal website completely crashed this last weekend and I’m working hard to develop another. In the meantime, some other great places to learn about me are my blog at http://mypotteryblog.blogspot.com/ and my profile at http://www.myartprofile.com/trpottery
(click to see more)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for featuring me on your blog. The post looks fabulous.
    -Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a look at her store and I have to say she makes BEAUTIFUL pieces! If you haven't already, you should definately go and check her work out people!
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete